Rich history, gorgeous mountain scenery, outdoor recreation and a strong sense of community pride combine to make Vernon a great destination at any time of year. Incorporated in 1892, Vernon is the Okanagan Valley’s oldest city, but it has a young, vibrant atmosphere. Restaurants showcase international cuisine created with fresh local ingredients. A collection of galleries, the Vernon & District Performing Arts Centre and downtown’s 27 murals provide insight into the town’s creative heritage. Active visitors will be ecstatic with the range of outdoor activities including golf, hiking, rock climbing, paragliding, scuba diving, wakeboarding, kayaking, fishing and much more.
Top 5 things to do
- Enjoy nearby Okanagan, Swan and Kalamalka lakes by swimming, fishing, boating, water-skiing, scuba diving, sailing and windsurfing
- Get your adrenaline fix by spending the day mountain biking at Silver Star Mountain Resort or rock climbing at the Enderby Cliffs
- Work on your golf game at one of four local courses, including Predator Ridge Resort, host to two TELUS World Skins Games
- Explore the natural beauty of Kalamalka and Ellison Provincial Parks, home to hiking trails from beginner to advanced
- Browse for fashions, fresh produce, books, artwork and other unique gifts in downtown’s eclectic array of shops and boutiques